Charter of the Althea Foundation
In the execution of all our activities, we with the Althea Foundation respect a set of principles and an approach defined below.
- Health Care With a Mission – Providing ophthalmological care which aims to contribute to the improvement of social justice and the reduction of poverty
- Inclusion – Following the precept that any person, regardless of nationality, gender or religion is entitled to a minimum standard of living
- Communication – Responding to requests from beneficiaries and engaging in an ongoing dialogue with our local partners
- Prioritization – Placing the needs of local people first and ensuring that our actions are directed exclusively to serve their interests
- Tried & True – Implementing a professional approach based on proven methods (monitoring and evaluation of the implementation of projects)
- Sustainable – Improving local capacities based on existing structures, knowledge and skills
- Transferable - Creating situations for people to improve their conditions, by the transfer of skills and the recognition of their own identity and resources
- Mutual – Establishing a reciprocal learning process between partners in the North and South
- Mindful – Committing particular attention to disadvantaged groups (children, women and other groups at risk)
- Academic – Recognizing education as a key to development and a mean to fight blindness (the risk of blindness is three times higher in the case of non-attendance at school)
- Equal - Giving girls access to the same opportunities to education as boys
- Aware – Committing to partnership and acknowledging that the Althea Foundation is only one of many actors of cooperation and development
- We are committed to the best use of our funds and respect their destinations in agreement with our donors.
- The Althea Foundation is financially independent, nonprofit, noncommercial, and apolitical.
- The Althea Foundation refuses to endorse any commercial initiative whose activities are incompatible with our goals.
- Accounting records will be provided to anyone who requests them.
- The Althea Foundation is subject to review by the Federal Authority of Foundations Surveillance (l’Autorité fédérale de surveillance des fondations)operated by the Swiss Department of the Interior.
- The accounts of the Foundation are reviewed by the fiduciary Leitenberg in La Chaux-de-Fonds.